Thursday, May 14, 2009

Suomi

As originally planned, Finland was not to be my final destination in Europe, but things have changed and tomorrow morning I'll be flying to Minneapolis from Helsinki via Reykjavik instead of spending a week in Scotland as I'd hoped.

As final destinations go, Finland is hardly the worst. Although the weather is the coolest I have encountered in quite some time, the especially late sunsets and my hostel's location on a small penninsula surrounded by cruise docks have made this quite a remarkable stay. Admittedly I've not been doing as much exploring as I usually do, I chalk that up to anxiety and timing. However I spent a good chunk of Wednesday and Thursday wandering around the capital, seeing what Helsinki has to offer, apparently quite inconspicuously; I had quite a few people coming up to me and asking things in Finnish. A few I could guess what they wanted, but some I just had no clue and had to try to get it across that I had no idea what they were saying- which they usually seemed to interpret as a negative response to their request! Weird. Even better were the English tourists asking me for directions, especially because I actually was able to give them!

Overall a lovely outing... I'm going to miss this random travelling but I'm afraid it's back to routine for me! At least until I get a well paid job with lots of holiday time, that is...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It'll be good to have you back, gurl.