Wednesday, May 13, 2009

This city is trying to kill me...

Sunday afternoon I flew to London for the last time, after which I took a train up to Birmingham to spend just over a day with Sam. I left my two larger bags in storage at the airport, seeing as I would be back early Tuesday morning.Sam met me at the station, and we ended up going to the cinema to see Star Trek; it was much better in English than it had been in French... I guess I had missed a lot of the nuances.

Sam still had classes on Monday so I went into the city centre for my last time doing anything English - sometimes I'm convinced I actually studied in the UK and not France, as much time as I visited during the semester. Ah well. After hanging out for the day I had a 10pm train that was supposed to have arrived at the airport at 1am, with a few connections of course. Needless to say, this did not happen.

My train was half an hour late in arriving to Watford Junction, where I was supposed to have changed for Clapham Junction. However, I missed the connection which was unfortunately the last of the day, and the next wasn't until almost 6am; my flight for Helsinki was at 8 am. Since waiting wasn't really an option, it's a good thing I got to know the London area so well this semseter. I took the next train, bound for London Euston, figuring I'd try to get at least as far as Victoria, taking the first train to Gatwick in the morning. However, I arrived just after the last underground toward Victoria had left. I was a bit stumped, but finally I found a bus schedule and discovered the N73 headed for Victoria. I had to take out money and buy a coffee to get change for a bus ticket, but I made it into Victoria just before two. I remembered that the station closes between 1 and 5 from when I was waiting to see Wicked, but I saw a worker standing near the entrance and decided to ask him when the first train to the airport was. "Platform 19", he says, "leaves in 10 minutes." Turns out I had just made the last train of the night! I had no idea they ran this late... Probably would have changed things when I was rerouted to Toulouse. So I still managed to get to the airport by three, get my bags, argue about their weight, and get on my flight, and now I find myself in Finland!

When I got in yesterday afternoon I was beyond exhausted. I checked into my hostel and went for a walk around the area, eventually buying groceries and coming back. From what I've seen so far this is a gorgeous country, and I'm excited to spend the next two days exploring before finally heading home on Friday! I can't believe my time in Europe is almost over.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Wow. How long have you been there? Six months? Time flies when you're having fun. Now, you need to hit up (or down?) South America!